Manager of Materials and Purchasing
Summary of Duties
The Manager of Materials and Purchasing will be responsible for continuous Improvement in the procurement and materials management processes. This position requires daily interaction with manufacturing, engineering, and sales personal and the establishment of a collaborative work environment with all areas of the organization. Daily attention to release of purchasing orders, workflow, quality improvement, cost reduction initiatives, production control activities, material planning, and warehousing activities are a must to be successful in this position. Development of new or modification of existing processes and practices, as well as operating procedures is a goal of this position. This role is accountable for Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) in inventory management, material cost, supplier performance, and production planning. Ensure compliance with government regulations, accounting requirements, and all company safety policies. Also ensure compliance with industry and customer regulations and requirements on purchased products.
Essential Job Functions
- Planning, controlling, and coordinating all related purchasing, warehouse, and production control departments’ activities.
- Formulate short and long-term strategy relative to cost reduction, quality improvement, capital planning, budgeting, and achievement of financial goals including inventory levels.
- Develop new material handling processes to reduce the time spent on this function using lean principles and methodology.
- Develop processes and procedures to eliminated line shortages and endure materials are delivered timely to internal customers.
- Interface with Customers and Customer Service personnel relative to quality, features and functionality of purchased product when necessary to maintain the highest customer satisfaction.
- Report regularly to company COO regarding financial data and performance indicators.
- Oversee capital requests, budgeting and outside service providers to materials management areas.
- Establish management practices that foster a positive, safe work environment.
- Promotes high morale throughout the organization and encourages teamwork. Manage personal issues related to staff personal with support from Human Resources.
- Perform internal audits to assure compliance to company and government policies. Support external auditors as needed.
- Developing systems and process to improve and optimize how the MRP/ERP system is used to meet key business objectives.
- Responsible for materials management goals, and to monitor the team’s attainment of Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s). Manage a group of Buyers, ensuring consistent quality, competitive pricing, adequate service and technical support, and the timely delivery of components and services to meet the Company’s goals and objectives.
- Coordinate Engineering Change Notice (ECN) data to and from suppliers.
Skills and Abilities Required
- Strong prioritization, organizational, and time management skills.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent problem solving and financial analysis skills.
- Demonstrated long-term strategic planning skills.
- Must have proficient ability in Microsoft Office products
- Ten years of experience in both planning and buying in a computerized, manufacturing, MRP/MRPII procurement environment, including managing material flow in manufacturing environment, preferably a high mix low volume process.
- Five years of experience of consistently improving performance is required. Ability to build and develop a successful team is required.
- Demonstrated experience in negotiating strong total cost improvements while strengthening Company’s overall supply chain.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field is strongly desired.
- Must be familiar with Lean Manufacturing, Six sigma, and New Product Introduction, either in a direct implementation and management roll or as part of a management team. Familiarity with ISO 9001 and ISO/TS 16949 is an additional value.
- Preferred an APICS (CPIM) or Purchasing (CPM) certification.
To apply, email your cover letter and resume to HR@Seagrave.com